If you're a NSW Blinded Soldiers, WW1 Veterans Widow/ers or Victoria Cross/George Cross recipient (or the spouse or widow/er of a recipient), you're eligible to apply for a travel concession pass. This pass entitles you and your attendant (if applicable) to free travel on trains, buses, most ferries, and light rail. You can apply for a free Opal card at the same time.


You're eligible if you're a permanent resident of NSW, and one of the following:

  • a recipient of the Victoria Cross or George Cross, or the spouse or widow/er of a recipient.
  • an Australian or NZ war veteran and you've been classified by the Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA) as blinded due to war service.
  • the widow of a WW1 veteran

What you need

You may need to provide:

  • your DVA file number
  • a letter from the DVA confirming your concession entitlement
  • 2 identical current colour passport size photos, with your printed name and signature on the back of one of them
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Ex-Defence Force Concession Entitlement card and Opal card'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete, print and sign the form.
  4. Attach your photographs.
  5. Lodge your application by mail or email, to the details on the form.

More information

  • The concession card is your proof of entitlement, so always carry it with you. It is valid for 3 years.
  • The free Opal card just means that you'll be able to use it to open the ticket gates at train stations (excluding Sydney Airport) and ferry wharves.
  • Your attendant can travel with you for free if your pass is marked "Plus Attendant".
  • Outside the Opal network your pass also entitles you to:
    • free travel on regular local bus services 
    • free travel on all NSW TrainLink Regional services and interstate services.
  • Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services or Great Southern Rail services.
  • Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the concession entitlement card.
Last updated: 28 December 2023

Rate the information on the page