If you're a NSW Blinded Soldiers, WW1 Veterans Widow/ers or Victoria Cross/George Cross recipient (or the spouse or widow/er of a recipient), you're eligible to apply for a travel concession pass. This pass entitles you and your attendant (if applicable) to free travel on trains, buses, most ferries, and light rail. You can apply for a free Opal card at the same time.
You're eligible if you're a permanent resident of NSW, and one of the following:
- a recipient of the Victoria Cross or George Cross, or the spouse or widow/er of a recipient.
- an Australian or NZ war veteran and you've been classified by the Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA) as blinded due to war service.
- the widow of a WW1 veteran
What you need
You may need to provide:
- your DVA file number
- a letter from the DVA confirming your concession entitlement
- 2 identical current colour passport size photos, with your printed name and signature on the back of one of them
- the PDF form – 'Application for Ex-Defence Force Concession Entitlement card and Opal card'.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete, print and sign the form.
- Attach your photographs.
- Lodge your application by mail or email, to the details on the form.
- The concession card is your proof of entitlement, so always carry it with you. It is valid for 3 years.
- The free Opal card just means that you'll be able to use it to open the ticket gates at train stations (excluding Sydney Airport) and ferry wharves.
- Your attendant can travel with you for free if your pass is marked "Plus Attendant".
- Outside the Opal network your pass also entitles you to:
- free travel on regular local bus services
- free travel on all NSW TrainLink Regional services and interstate services.
- Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services or Great Southern Rail services.
- Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the concession entitlement card.