If you're severely vision impaired, you can apply for a vision impaired person (VIP) travel pass. The pass entitles you to free (or concession) travel on public transport in NSW.
Your attendant can travel with you for free if your pass is marked 'Plus Attendant'.
You can also request a free travel Opal card at the same time if you'd like. The Opal card enables you to open the ticket gates at train stations (excluding Sydney Airport) and ferry wharves, without the assistance of staff.
You're eligible if you:
- are a permanent resident of NSW
- receive the age pension or disability support pension on the basis of blindness from Services Australia, or
- have been medically assessed by an ophthalmologist (or optometrist in rural and regional areas) as legally blind. The criteria requires one of the following:
- visual acuity on the Snellen Scale less than 6/60 in both eyes while wearing glasses or contact lenses
- the field of vision constricted to 10 degrees of arc in the better eye, irrespective of corrected visual acuity
- the combination of visual defects results in the same visual impairment as that which occurs in the above 2 conditions.
What you need
- your Services Australia customer reference number (if applicable)
- your eye specialist's assessment (if applicable)
- digital copies of 2 identical current colour passport size photos, with your printed name and signature on the back of one of them
- the PDF form – 'Application for a Vision Impaired Person’s Travel Pass and Opal card'.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete Application for a Vision Impaired Person’s Travel Pass and Opal card – PDF.
- If applicable, have your medical specialist complete and sign the appropriate sections on the form.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Complete the 'Concessions application' online form.
Note: From the relevant drop-down menus, select:
- 'Concession Schemes'
- 'Vision impaired'.
- your completed PDF application form (with the medical sections completed if applicable)
- the digital copies of your 2 identical current colour passport size photos, with your printed name and signature on the back of one of them.
- Select 'Send'.
- Your VIP travel pass is free, and valid for 5 years. The free Opal card is valid for 5 years.
- The VIP pass is your proof of entitlement, so always carry it with you.
- Outside the Opal network your VIP pass also entitles you to free travel and concession fares on NSW TrainLink Regional services including:
- 1 return free trip or 2 one-way free trips in First or Economy class on Regional services each calendar year within NSW (applicable to NSW VIP Travel Pass holders only)
- concession fares in First or Economy class on Regional services within NSW
- concession fares from the NSW border to your interstate destination when travelling on NSW TrainLink Regional services.
- Free travel isn't available on some private ferries, event shuttle buses, premium or charter buses services, Great Southern Rail services or tourism services.
- Check with your local transport operators to find out if they recognise the VIP travel pass.