If you're applying for approval of a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) for a proposed residential development, you'll need to create an account on the NSW Planning Portal and submit your application online.
Before beginning an application, you should contact your registered certifier or local council to discuss if your plans can be submitted as a complying development.
Applications for complying development can be submitted for the following residential development – PDF types:
- new dwelling houses
- secondary dwellings (granny flats)
- attached development
- detached development
- alterations and additions to dwelling houses or secondary dwellings
What you need
- design plans
- certificate of title
- site plan
- building specifications
- structural plans.
Note: During the application process you may be requested to upload further documents to support your application. Refer to the CDC document checklist – PDF for a comprehensive list of the documentation that may be required.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Create an account on, or log into, the NSW Planning Portal.
- Follow the prompts to complete your application.
Note: You may need to pay planning portal service fees during the application process which are different to the lodgement and assessment fees.
- once you've submitted your application:
- you'll receive a system-generated confirmation email
- your nominated certifier will receive a system-generated email advising them that your application has been sent to them for consideration
- the certifier will conduct a pre-assessment review and advise if any additional or revised documents are required
- a fee quote will be issued for your review.
- once the certifier has accepted your application for assessment:
- your application will be lodged
- you'll receive a system-generated email to advise you of this status change.
- PDF, Word, Excel, JPEG, PNG and ZIP files are all acceptable formats for uploading.