COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size

If any part of your journey is on a road outside the approved road train network, you'll need to apply for an access permit through the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). 

The NHVR permit applies to all class 2 road train travel throughout Australia, with the exception of Western Australia and the Northern Territory, where you'll need to apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.

For road trains that don't meet the prescribed mass or dimension limits, you'll need to submit a Class 3 (Miscellaneous) permit application.

Operators with a Performance-Based Standards (PBS) approved road train will need to submit a PBS access permit application to the NHVR.

For information on Type 1 A-double road trains (including modern road trains), modular B-triples, B-triples, AB-triples and Type 2 A-triple road trains operating in NSW, visit Transport for NSW.

For the most up-to-date information on how to apply for a road train access permit, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website. 

You'll be taken to another website.