If you're a tow truck operator carrying only scrap metal directly to a scrap metal recycling facility and you'd like to apply for a scrap metal exemption authority, you'll need to complete an application form.
You can then either lodge your application by mail, or visit a service centre. There is a fee attached to this transaction.
What you'll need
- the PDF form – 'Application for Scrap Metal Exemption Authority'
- company or trading name
- business address and contact details
- ABN and/or ACN
- Certificate of Incorporation (if applicable)
- Certificate of Registration of Business Name (if applicable)
- name and personal details of each person who is a director, partner and/or close associate of the business
- certificate of currency for public liability insurance for your place of business
- copies of current RMS registration papers for each vehicle operated
- photos of each vehicle showing the registration number and the crane
- latest annual company statement with shareholder and director details (if applicable)
- original interstate/overseas criminal record (if applicable), dated within 6 weeks of the date of your application
- full names, driver licence numbers and dates of birth of all drivers operating the business's tow trucks
- signed declaration by each director, partner and/or close associate of the business.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Application for Scrap Metal Exemption Authority – PDF
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit the information in person, or post it to Tow Truck Licensing and Compliance, Locked Bag 5054, Parramatta NSW 2124
The operator of a tow truck must hold an operator's licence issued by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).
Things to keep in mind...
- As part of the assessment process, RMS will check whether an applicant has a criminal record.
- Tilt tray tow trucks cannot be included on an exemption authority.
- Tow trucks transporting motor vehicles destined for repair, reuse or resale in their original form or as parts, cannot be included on an exemption authority.
- Your tow trucks must have an approved sign displayed on the front and rear of each tow truck in positions where they are visible outside the tow truck.