Text size


Landlords, tenants and occupants with a dispute regarding social housing can apply online to have their claim heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Disputes can include:

  • termination of the social housing tenancy agreement
  • breaches of the agreement
  • repairs and maintenance
  • rents and rent increases.

Before lodging your application, please refer your complaint to NSW Fair Trading who'll provide you with further information on the available options.


  • A social housing premises is where the landlord is one of the following:
    • NSW Land and Housing Corporation
    • Housing NSW
    • Community Housing Division of Housing NSW
    • Aboriginal Housing Office
    • An organisation registered by the Registrar of Community Housing under Part 9A of the Housing Act 2001 (NSW), or under Part 5 of the Aboriginal Housing Act 1998.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • documents and information related to your dispute
  • the legal name and current address details of the person or organisation you're claiming against (respondent)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your credit card details
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button. 
  3. Complete the online application form (allow about 30 minutes).
  4. Pay the application fee using your credit card.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.

Where possible, you'll receive an instant notice. Please check the requirements for your hearing type.

If your application is urgent, or you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete one of the following:
  2. Attach any relevant supporting documents.
  3. Lodge your completed application with payment at a service centre.

More information

  • After lodging an application with NCAT you can expect a first hearing within 3 weeks for matters concerning orders for termination, or within 4 weeks for all other matters.
  • NCAT has jurisdiction to determine social housing applications up to $30,000 for rental bond matters and $15,000 in respect of any other matter.
  • NCAT cannot determine appeals regarding administrative decisions made by a social housing provider, such as decisions about eligibility, allocations, rent subsidies and transfers.
    Last updated: 8 December 2021
    You'll be taken to another website.