Text size


Landlords in dispute with tenants and occupants over the termination of social housing rental agreements and the possession of property due to non-payment of rent, can have the matter heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Before lodging an application, please refer the complaint to NSW Fair Trading who will provide further information on available options.

You can apply to NCAT online, and once your application has been received, the matter will be listed for hearing within 3 weeks.


  • A social housing premises is where the landlord is one of the following:
    • NSW Land and Housing Corporation
    • Housing NSW
    • Community Housing Division of Housing NSW
    • Aboriginal Housing Office
    • An organisation registered by the Registrar of Community Housing under Part 9A of the Housing Act 2001 (NSW), or under Part 5 of the Aboriginal Housing Act 1998.
  • The application must be lodged within 30 days of serving the Termination Notice if the notice was given under section 85, or within 14 days in any other case. 

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.

What you need

  • the landlord's name and contact details
  • the tenant's name and contact details
  • the address of the rented premises
  • real estate agent details (if applicable)
  • the rental bond number
  • documents and information related to the dispute
  • details of the Termination Notice
  • your credit card details
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Complete the online application form (allow about 30 minutes).
  4. Pay the application fee using your credit card.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.

Where possible, you'll receive an instant notice. Please check the requirements for your hearing type.

If your application is urgent, or you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete the Termination and possession for non-payment of rent – PDF.
  2. Gather any required documentation.
  3. Lodge your completed application with payment at a service centre.

More information

  • An extension of time to lodge the application may be granted in special circumstances. If an extension is not granted, the application may be dismissed because it is out of time.
  • The tenant must have been at least 14 days behind with the rent before you can serve a Termination Notice.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 8 December 2021
You'll be taken to another website.