COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


If your heavy vehicle exceeds certain mass and/or dimension limits, you may need to get Third Party Approval, along with your access permits, to travel on the road network. This depends on your vehicle, its proposed route, and the state or territory you're travelling within or across.

If you're applying for an access permit through the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR), they'll notify you if you need to apply for approval from third-party providers. It's then your responsibility to consult with and/or obtain consent, and supply the NHVR with evidence of that consent. Your permit application shouldn't be delayed as the NHVR is able to progress an application at the same time as you're seeking third-party approvals.

Examples of third parties include: 

  • rail infrastructure managers – the movement of oversize heavy vehicles across level crossings and near rail infrastructure may create risks that need to be managed
  • telco and energy providers – telecommunications infrastructure and power lines can be of concern
  • police – traffic and highway command may need to be involved.

You can find a list of third parties contact information on the NHVR's website. 

You'll be taken to another website.