If you'd like to apply for a tow truck driver's certificate or an operator's licence, you'll need to lodge the relevant application form. You can either post your application, visit a service centre, or call 13 77 88.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- your driver licence (unrestricted)
- The Application for Tow Truck Operators Licence form, and
- certificate of currency for public liability insurance (place of business and holding yard/s)
- certificate of currency for on hook insurance for each vehicle operated
- copy of current Roads and Maritime services certificate of registration for each vehicle operated
- latest annual company statement with shareholder and director details
- printout of interstate/overseas criminal record/s (if applicable)
- proof of ownership for holding yard/s (rate notice or lease agreement)
- copy of lease agreement for any vehicles not owned by the applicant
- certificate of incorporation
- registration of business name for trading name/s.
- The Application for Tow Truck Drivers Certificate form, and
- 2 passport size photographs
- interstate or overseas criminal history and traffic record (if applicable).
How to apply
- Download, print and complete the Application for Tow Truck Operators Licence – PDF or the Application for Tow Truck Drivers Certificate – PDF, whichever is appropriate
- Gather all the required documentation supporting your application.
- Visit a service centre and provide the information in person, or post your application to the address on the form.
If you make false or misleading statements or falsify any documentation, your application may be refused.
If Fair Trading refuses your application, you will be advised of the reasons. You will also be informed of any rights you may have to appeal a decision.