NSW government primary schools educate children from kindergarten to year 6, and the school year begins late-January/early-February.

You can enrol your child in kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn 5 on or before 31 July of that year. They must be enrolled by their sixth birthday.

Public schools are free to attend for Australian citizens and permanent residents.


What you need

You'll need the child's:

  • personal details
  • proof of residential address such as a council rates notice, electricity bill
  • Medicare number
  • medical details and health conditions
  • doctor's details
  • emergency contact details
  • family law or court orders (if applicable)
  • disability or other support needs, including any learning and support plans (if applicable).

For children who've never enrolled in a NSW public school, you'll also need their:

  • birth certificate or identity documents
  • parent/carer’s details
  • residency status or visa number (if applicable)
  • passport, travel documents or current visa (if applicable)
  • Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) immunisation history statement.

How to enrol

  1. Check eligibility requirements.
  2. Find your nearest local government public school
  3. Contact the school for a discussion and/or an appointment.
  4. Complete the Application to enrol in a NSW Government school – PDF and bring it with you to the appointment or, if you’ve already had a discussion, to the school office to process the application.

More information

  • You can enrol a child without an immunisation history statement, but they may be instructed by Public Health officials to stay at home during an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.
  • The enrolment application form must be completed in English. Translations of the form are available to help you, if required.
Last updated: 9 April 2020