If you’re training as an apprentice and need to move away from home, you may be eligible for the Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA).
The allowance is available to eligible full and part-time apprentices and school-based apprentices during the first 3 years of training.
To be eligible you need to be moving away from your parents or legal guardian's home for the first time in order to:
- start an Australian Apprenticeship
- remain in an Australian Apprenticeship
- receive essential supplementary on-the-job training with another employer.
You’re unable to access the allowance if you:
- have lodged a claim for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY
- receive rental or accommodation assistance from any source
- moved away from your parents' or legal guardian’s home 3 months or more before starting your apprenticeship.
You can apply for the allowance through your local Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider.
Last updated: 21 June 2022