If you live overseas and want to renew your Australian passport, you can begin the process online if you're 18 years of age or older and your most recent Australian passport:
- was issued when you were 16 or older
- was valid for at least 2 years when issued
- is still current or expired less than 3 years ago.
If your personal details such as name and/or sex have changed, you'll need to complete a new passport application.
What you'll need
- the completed renewal application form
- 2 identical photographs of yourself that are no more than 6 months old.
How to renew
- Click the 'Renew online' button.
- Create an AusPassport account.
- Complete, print and sign your application form. If you're unable to complete the form online, contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.
- Have your passport photos taken.
- Lodge your renewal in person at an Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.
- Pay the application fee.
For fees in the local currency, check with the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.
Australian citizens aged 18 years or over who have, and can present:
- an adult Australian passport, or
- a child Australian passport that was issued when they were 16 years of age or over,
and that passport:
- was valid for at least 2 years when issued, and
- was issued in their current name, date of birth and sex
- is current, or expired less than 3 years ago.