Smoking and using e-cigarettes is banned by law in all enclosed public areas and certain outdoor public areas. If you think a smoking ban has been broken, you can report it online.

Indoor smoke-free zones

Smoking and using e-cigarettes is banned in all enclosed public areas including in shopping centres, cinemas, libraries and public transport.

Outdoor smoke-free zones

Smoking and using e-cigarettes is banned at:

  • public transport stops such as train station and light rail platforms, bus stops, ferry wharves and taxi ranks
  • commercial outdoor dining areas
  • within 4 metres of a pedestrian entrance or exit of a public building
  • within 10 metres of children's play equipment (such as a playground in a park)
  • public swimming pools
  • spectator areas at sports grounds or other recreational areas used for organised sporting events.

What you need

To make a complaint you'll need to provide details of the incident, including:

  • where it was – place name and address
  • when it was – date and time
  • description of what happened
  • your contact details (optional)
  • photo (optional).

How to lodge a complaint

  1. Select the 'Report online'  button.
  2. Follow the prompts to complete and submit the form. 

More information

  • If you provide your contact details when completing the online form, NSW Health may contact you for further information if required.
  • You can also make a complaint by contacting your local Public Health Unit.
  • For further information or other complaints, call the Tobacco Information Line on 1800 357 412 (English language) or 13 14 50 (other languages).
Last updated: 6 May 2024