You can use the online Medicare levy calculator to work out how much your Medicare levy will be, including any entitlement you may have to a reduction or exemption. It can calculate the levy for the past 3 tax years.
All Australian residents.
What you need
- your taxable income
- your spouse's income (if applicable)
- the number of days you're eligible for an exemption (if applicable).
How to calculate
- Select the 'Calculate online' button.
- Enter the required details.
- Select 'Submit'.
- The calculator gives you an estimate only, as the exact amount can only be calculated when you lodge your income tax return.
- In addition to the Medicare levy, a surcharge of between 1% to 1.5% is added if you don’t have private hospital cover and your taxable income is above a prescribed amount. The calculator doesn't calculate the surcharge.
Medicare is a Commonwealth government program for all Australians and is accessed via the Medicare website or a Medicare Service Centre. Service NSW does not deliver any Medicare related services.