This page can be used for reference when completing any of the following transactions:

  • driving/riding instructor licences
  • bus driver authority.

General information

Browser requirements

  • Chrome (version 66 or above)
  • Safari (version 12.1.4 or above)
  • Firefox (version 66 or above)
  • Microsoft Edge (version 100).


Photos should be front-facing, with the head and shoulders visible. No headgear should be worn unless it is worn for religious purposes.

Digital photos should be 246px X 246px and can be uploaded in any of the following formats – JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF.

Passport size photographs should be approximately 5cm by 4cm.

Driving/riding instructors

Application process

Getting interstate or international driver/rider licence and traffic history details

If your NSW driver/rider licence is less than 5 years old, you'll need to provide your driver licence and traffic record details from your original licensing state or country. 

State/territoryServiceSearch online for more information
ACTLicence history searchAccess Canberra
New ZealandConfirming your licence detailsNZ Transport Agency
Northern TerritoryApply for driver licence or address historyNT.GOV.AU
QueenslandApply for my traffic historyQueensland Government
South AustraliaOrder a Driver’s licence history reportSA.GOV.AU
TasmaniaObtain a licence history reportDepartment of State Growth – Transport
VictoriamyVicRoadsaccountVic Roads
Western AustraliaRecord of Traffic InfringementsWestern Australia Police Force

For International driver/rider licences and traffic record details, search online. Contact your local consulate if you're having difficulty finding the information you need.

If the driving/riding record and history are not in English, they must be accompanied by a certified copy of an official translation from Multicultural NSW or the Translating and Interpreting Service of the Department of Home Affairs.

On completion of the instructor training course

When you've successfully completed your driving/riding instructor training course, take a copy of your training certificate to Service NSW and pay the 5-year non-refundable instructor fee.

Service NSW will forward a copy of your certificate and payment receipt to TfNSW who will assess all relevant documentation to determine if you are a suitable person to hold a driving/riding instructor licence.

Heavy vehicle upgrades

If you hold a driving instructor licence in:

  • a rigid class (LR, MR, HR) and you're wanting to upgrade within this class, you do not need to complete the rigid instructor knowledge test
  • a combination class (HC, MC) and you're wanting to upgrade within this class (HC to MC) you do not need to complete the combination driving instructor:
    • knowledge test, nor
    • MC vehicle driving test.

Recognised training providers

The approved bodies that conduct the training are Registered Training Organisations. They will need a copy of your Letter of Eligibility to enrol you into the course. If you have lost your letter call 02 8848 8700.

The organisations listed below are TfNSW-approved providers of driving instructor training for car, heavy vehicle and motorcycle instructors.

Note: Qualifications and/or certificates issued by non-approved course providers are not recognised by TfNSW.

Car and heavy vehicle instructors NSW

Heavy vehicle instructors

Motorcycle instructors

Stay Upright Motorcycle Techniques(02) 8824 9980
Wheel-Skills(02) 6687 9222

Interstate training providers

TfNSW only recognises the required certificates issued by interstate Recognised Training Organisations (RTOs) who hold a current service provider deed with the driver licensing regulator in that state.

Transport Industry Skill Centre (TISC) (02) 6297 7187

Visit Department of Transport and Main Roads

Northern Territory:

South Australia:

Western Australia:
Jasmonie trading as Miro Training Centre 0422 461 180

Intelligent Training Solutions 1300 585 866

Replacement licence

You need to change the name on your driver licence and receive the replacement licence before you apply for your driving instructor replacement licence.

Details on the driver licence are required when you apply for your replacement instructor licence.

Bus driver authority

Last updated: 15 April 2024