Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

Card services


You can register your regional seniors travel card on the card services website to:

  • activate your card
  • check your balance
  • view your transaction history
  • report a lost or stolen card
  • change your PIN. 


Alternatively, you can call card services 24/7 on 1800 569 070 for help with any of the above services.

If the line is busy, please try calling outside business hours.

Card activation 

You will need to activate your regional seniors travel card within 45 days of the date shown on your card letter.  Once you’ve activated your card, it will be ready to use. If your card is not activated within 45 days, it will be cancelled. 

To activate your card contact card services by phone or online and follow the prompts. 

Your PIN 

Your 4-digit PIN will be posted to you in a separate envelope. 

You will need your PIN to complete transactions at retail outlets. You won’t need your PIN for phone or online transactions. 

You can use the PIN that is issued to you or choose your own. To change or reset your PIN, contact card services and follow the prompts.

You will be prompted to enter your PIN when you use your card at retailers. Take care to enter your PIN correctly. If you enter your PIN incorrectly 3 times at a point-of-sale (POS) terminal, a 24-hour freeze will be placed on your card. You'll need to wait 24 hours before you can use your card again.  

Regional senior travel cards do not work at ATMs. If you try to use your card at an ATM, it may not be returned to you.

Protecting your card and PIN

You should take the usual precautions for payment cards, including:

  • not giving your PIN to other people
  • keeping your PIN separate from your card
  • signing the back of your card as soon as you receive it
  • not writing your PIN on your card
  • memorising your PIN or writing it down and keeping it separate from your card 
  • destroying your PIN letter. 

Card balances

You can find out the balance of your card by contacting card services by phone or online. 

If the total cost of your travel-related expense is greater than your card balance, you must pay the outstanding balance. The NSW Government is not required to pay the outstanding balance.

If your card balance is insufficient when you try to make a payment, the transaction will be declined and you may be required to cover the cost of the purchase. 

If your balance falls below $5, you have 30 days to use the remaining balance before your account is closed. Any remaining balance on the card will be returned to the NSW Government.

Any unused funds remaining on your card after the expiry date (printed on the front of your card) will be returned to the NSW Government and will not be recoverable by you. Please try to spend your $250 before your card expires.

Declined transactions

Reasons for declined transactions include using your card: 

  • for non-travel related purchases
  • at a restricted retailer or organisation
  • at a retailer that does not use the appropriate merchant category code, for example, a retailer selling fuel under the supermarket code
  • to buy an item or service that is valued more than your card balance.

Disputing a charge

To dispute a charge, download and print the regional seniors travel card dispute form - PDF. Fill out the form and send a scanned copy or photo of the form to You can also visit your nearest service centre to help you with this.  

Card expiry

Each card is valid for 14 months from the date it was issued. The expiry date is available on the front of your card.  

Try to spend your $250 before the card expires. You won't be able to use any funds remaining on the card after the expiry date.

Lost or stolen card

If your card is lost or stolen, contact card services by phone or online to cancel your card within 24 hours. You can request to have any remaining balance transferred to a new card.

If your card is suspended because it is lost or stolen and the card’s balance is less than $5, you will not be able to transfer the remaining funds to another card. Your account will be closed.

Power of Attorney

If you’re a Power of Attorney, you can apply for or manage a regional seniors travel card on a senior’s behalf.

To manage a regional seniors travel card on a senior's behalf, you'll need to register as a Power of Attorney in person or by email, as follows:  

To apply for a regional seniors travel card on a seniors’ behalf, you’ll first need to complete the regional seniors travel card application in person at a service centre. If successful, you can then register as the Power of Attorney to manage the card once received (see registration details above).


If you need help managing your card, you can contact card services 24/7 by:


The regional seniors travel card is provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714. Conditions apply. Fees and charges may apply. For further information, please read the Product Disclosure Statement and the full Terms and Conditions. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it. This information is current as at November 2020.