The regional seniors travel card is pre-loaded with $250 to pay for travel-related expenses at retailers, online and over the phone. It’s a prepaid, non-reloadable Visa card with a 4-digit PIN and a magnetic strip on the back.
Your regional seniors travel card can be used Australia-wide, including in metropolitan areas and when travelling interstate.
Years 2022 and 2023
Years 2020 and 2021
You can use your card for:
- pre-booked NSW TrainLink Regional train and coach services
- taxi trips
- fuel at service stations, convenience stores or mixed businesses that operate with a fuel merchant category code
- fuel for someone else’s vehicle to support your transport needs
- Opal card top up payments
- privately-operated coaches
- selected community transport services.
You need to confirm that your card will be accepted by the retailer or service provider before you use it.
You cannot use your card for:
- cash withdrawals from ATMs, bank branches or via point-of-sale terminals
- balance enquiries at ATMs or bank branches
- rideshare services including Uber
- local bus fares (the majority accept cash only)
- recurring transaction setups, such as Opal auto top up
- purchases that are not related to travel
- transactions outside of Australia.
Your regional seniors travel card cannot be transferred, sold or exchanged for other benefits. Your card will be declined if you try to use it for an unauthorised transaction.
Before you use your card
Once you’ve activated your card, it will be ready to use.
You may need your PIN to complete transactions at retail outlets. You won’t need your PIN for phone or online transactions.
Make sure you sign the back of your card.
See Managing your card for more information.
If the retailer or service provider accepts split payments, you can use:
- your regional seniors travel card and another card or cash, or
- both your 2022 and 2021 regional seniors travel cards provided the cards have sufficient funds and are operational.
You can use your regional seniors travel card to top up an Opal card to pay for fares on public transport. It can be used to top up an Opal card:
- via the Opal travel app
- at service stations operating as an Opal retailer
- via Opal top up machines available at selected stations, shops and wharves
- at selected Service NSW Centres
- at Transport Customer Service Centres.
You cannot use your regional seniors travel card for contactless payments on the Opal network.
You can use your regional seniors travel card at selected Opal retailers, including:
- service stations or mixed businesses that sell fuel under the appropriate merchant category code
- selected Service NSW Service Centres (Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Cessnock, Erina, Gosford, Goulburn, Gunnedah, Kiama, Lithgow, Maitland, Mittagong, Mudgee, Muswellbrook, Nelson Bay, Nowra, Orange, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Raymond Terrace, Richmond, Singleton, Tamworth, Toronto, Tuggerah, Wallsend, Warners Bay and Young)
- Transport Customer Service Centres.
Find your nearest Opal retailer.
The usage of regional seniors travel cards is monitored to prevent fraud. This includes checking:
- if transactions are for travel-related items and/or at approved retail outlets
- the requested number of cards sent to the same address.
Upon notification, lost or stolen cards will be cancelled immediately to prevent misuse.
If you misuse your card it could be cancelled. If your card is cancelled due to misuse, fraud or other reasons, any remaining balance will be returned to the NSW Government.
You can contact card services 24/7 by:
On the card services website, you can register, activate and manage your card online, including tracking your balance and reviewing transactions. You can also access frequently asked questions or you can read the Get started with your regional seniors travel card guide.