The regional seniors travel card is pre-loaded with $250 to pay for travel-related expenses at retailers, online and over the phone. It’s a prepaid, non-reloadable Visa card with a 4-digit PIN and a magnetic strip on the back.
Your regional seniors travel card can be used Australia-wide, including in metropolitan areas and when travelling interstate.
You can use your card for:
- pre-booked NSW TrainLink Regional train and coach services
- taxi trips
- fuel at service stations, convenience stores or mixed businesses that operate with a fuel merchant category code
- fuel for someone else’s vehicle to support your transport needs
- Opal card payments
- privately-operated coaches
- selected community transport services.
You need to confirm that your card will be accepted by the retailer or service provider before you use it.
You cannot use your card for:
- cash withdrawals from ATMs, bank branches or via point-of-sale terminals
- balance enquiries at ATMs or bank branches
- contactless payments (tap and go)
- rideshare services including Uber
- local bus fares (the majority accept cash only)
- recurring transaction setups, such as Opal auto top up
- purchases that are not related to travel
- transactions outside of Australia.
Your regional seniors travel card cannot be transferred, sold or exchanged for other benefits. Your card will be declined if you try to use it for an unauthorised transaction.
Before you use your card
Once you’ve activated your card, it will be ready to use.
You will need your PIN to complete transactions at retail outlets. You won’t need your PIN for phone or online transactions.
Make sure you sign the back of your card.
See Managing your card for more information.
You can only split payments by using your regional seniors travel card and another card or cash if the retailer or service provider allows it.
You can use your regional seniors travel card for Opal card payments, including one-off top ups online or via the Opal Travel app. You can then use your Opal card on public transport, including in Sydney.
You cannot use your regional seniors travel card for Opal:
- payments at supermarkets or newsagents
- auto top ups
- contactless payments (tapping on and off at Opal readers).
You can use your regional seniors travel card at selected Opal retailers, including:
- service stations or mixed businesses that sell fuel under the appropriate merchant category code
- selected Service NSW Service Centres (Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Cessnock, Erina, Gosford, Goulburn, Gunnedah, Kiama, Lithgow, Maitland, Mittagong, Mudgee, Muswellbrook, Nelson Bay, Nowra, Orange, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Raymond Terrace, Richmond, Singleton, Tamworth, Toronto, Tuggerah, Wallsend, Warners Bay and Young)
- Transport Customer Service Centres.
Find your nearest Opal retailer.
The usage of regional seniors travel cards is monitored to prevent fraud. This includes checking:
- if transactions are for travel-related items and/or at approved retail outlets
- the requested number of cards sent to the same address.
Upon notification, lost or stolen cards will be cancelled immediately to prevent misuse.
If you misuse your card it could be cancelled. If your card is cancelled due to misuse, fraud or other reasons, any remaining balance will be returned to the NSW Government.
You can contact card services 24/7 by:
The regional seniors travel card is provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714. Conditions apply. For further information, please read the Product Disclosure Statement and Terms and Conditions. The information on this website does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it. This information is current as at October 2020.