If you're a sole trader, the owner of a small business or a not-for-profit organisation in NSW, you may be eligible for a small business fees and charges rebate of $1,500.
This rebate helps businesses recover from the impacts of COVID-19 and encourages growth by reducing the cost of running a business. Eligible businesses or not-for-profits only need to apply for the rebate once, but can submit multiple claims until the full value of $1,500 is reached.
Funds can be used to offset the costs of eligible NSW and local government fees and charges due and paid from 1 March 2021. These include, but are not limited to:
- food authority licences
- liquor licences
- tradesperson licences
- event fees
- outdoor seating fees
- council rates.
View the full list of eligible fees and charges.
The rebate cannot be used for fines or penalties, fees and charges that have the key purpose of discouraging behaviours or inducing behaviour changes, Commonwealth government charges, rent on government premises, or taxes. See the guidelines for more information.
The rebate will be available until 30 June 2022.
To be eligible for this rebate, small businesses (including non-employing sole traders) and not-for-profit organisations must:
- have total Australian wages below the NSW Government 2020-21 payroll tax threshold of $1.2 million
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) registered in NSW and/or have business premises physically located and operating in NSW.
Note: Only one $1,500 rebate is available for each ABN.
What you need
To apply for the rebate, you'll need:
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN/ACN
- your business banking details for payment.
You'll need to supply supporting documentation when applying for the rebate and each time you make a claim.
Note: For each claim you make, you'll need to provide invoices and receipts showing payment of eligible fees or charges. Each claim must be made separately, and you can only upload one receipt per claim. In addition, each invoice can be entered only once. If you pay an invoice in instalments, please wait until you've paid it in full before making a claim against that invoice.
Proof of identity
How to apply
- Check the eligibility criteria.
- Have your documentation and evidence ready for uploading.
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
Note: You cannot save and resume your application once you've started.
- Select and verify your identity documents.
- When your identity is verified, select ‘Continue’.
- Confirm your contact details.
- Enter the required information and upload any supporting documents, then select ‘Next’.
- Enter your bank details.
- Review your application.
- Check the declaration boxes.
- Select ‘Next’ to submit your application.
When you submit your application, you'll receive a confirmation email with your application reference number. If you do not receive this email within 5 minutes after completing your application, please check your junk mail folder, and then call 13 77 88.
After your application is received, it will be reviewed by Service NSW. We will contact you if we need additional information to support your application. If your application is approved, you'll receive a confirmation email with details of how to make a claim.
If you're not able to apply online, please call 13 77 88.