If you are a small or medium food and beverage business wanting to create or expand your outdoor dining area, you may be eligible for a $5,000 rebate under the NSW Government’s Alfresco Restart package.
The rebate is available to the first 5,000 eligible small or medium food and beverage businesses that register, split between:
- 3,500 businesses in Greater Sydney
- 1,500 businesses in New South Wales, outside of Greater Sydney.
There are 2 steps involved in the Alfresco Restart rebate:
1. Register for the rebate
- Businesses must first register to confirm their eligibility.
- Registrations will close when 5,000 businesses have successfully registered.
2. Claim the rebate
- Businesses that have successfully registered can claim their rebate from late February 2022 for expenses incurred from 14 October 2021 to 30 April 2022.
- Registered businesses will receive an email when the claims process opens.
- Claims must be made by 30 April 2022.
To be eligible for an Alfresco Restart rebate, your business must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN), held before 1 June 2021
- be located in NSW
- have an aggregated annual turnover less than $10 million (inclusive) for the year ended 30 June 2021
- be a small or medium food and beverage business, defined by at least one of the following ANZSIC codes:
- 4511 Cafés and restaurants
- 4520 Pubs, taverns and bars
- 4530 Clubs (hospitality)
- 4400 Accommodation (limited to hotel and motel operation)
- 1212 Beer Manufacturing
- 1213 Spirit Manufacturing
- 1214 Wine and other Alcoholic Beverage Manufacturing
- have incurred, or will incur, eligible costs and expenses for opening or expanding your outdoor dining areas from 14 October 2021 to 30 April 2022.
When claiming the rebate, you must also, where applicable:
- have development approval and approval to use the land from council, Place Management NSW or private landholder
- have approval for the liquor licence boundary changes.
Note: Only one application per ABN is allowed. The rebate can be used towards outdoor dining expenses at multiple business locations if eligibility criteria are met.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN.
Evidence to support eligibility
If you successfully register for the Alfresco Restart rebate, you’ll be able to claim your rebate from February 2022. At that time, you will need to submit:
- letter of authority, if you are not listed as an associate on the Australian Business Register
- profit and loss statement or accountant’s letter, if you are a not-for-profit organisation
- 2020–21 Australian income tax return
- evidence showing your business was located in NSW on 1 June 2021, such as:
- commercial rates notice
- utility bills
- insurance papers
- if applicable, documentation from relevant council or private landholder approving use of the land for outdoor dining, which may include:
- council approvals or permits
- council-approved site plans
- private landholder’s written consent
- receipts for eligible expenses incurred from 14 October 2021 to 30 April 2022
- for licensed venues, approved for liquor licence boundary changes under Form AM0521, Form AM0522 or another form, a copy of the temporary change of boundary area approved by Liquor & Gaming NSW
- if relevant, a copy of the business’s liquor licence
- your business banking details for payment.
Note: You may also be asked to provide photo evidence of your eligible purchases.
Proof of identity
How to register
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Select the ‘Register online’ button.
Note: You can save and resume your application, but if you have not submitted it within 7 days, any details you've entered will be deleted.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to register for an Alfresco Restart rebate.
When you submit your registration, you’ll receive a confirmation email with your registration reference number. If you do not receive this email after completing your registration, please check your junk mail folder.
If you’re not able to register online, please call us on 13 77 88.
Claiming the rebate
If your registration is successful, you’ll be able to claim the rebate from late February 2022. Registered businesses will be notified by email when the claims process opens.
Be sure to keep your receipts and invoices for any eligible expenses from 14 October 2021 to 30 April 2022. You may be asked to submit photo evidence of these expenses when making your claim.