If a corporation employs commercial agents who have in-person contact with customers (known as a field agent), the corporation must hold a licence.
Officers of a corporation must hold their own individual commercial agent licence to carry out field work.
If a corporation employs commercial agents who are not field agents, the corporation does not need a licence.
If a corporation already holds a Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents (CAPI) licence, the corporation will need a new commercial agent licence before the CAPI expiry date or 1 July 2023, whichever is sooner.
You can apply for a 1, 3 or 5-year licence.
To apply, you need to be:
- aged 18 years or over
- the nominated officer to apply on behalf of a corporation
- a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
The corporation is not eligible if you (or any other officer of the corporation):
- are an undischarged bankrupt or taking benefit of bankruptcy laws
- have an exclusion order that prohibits you from carrying out commercial agent activity
- have a NSW commercial agent licence that is currently cancelled, disqualified or suspended
- are a controlled member of a declared organisation within the meaning of the Crimes (Criminal Organisations Control) Act 2012
- have been convicted of a relevant offence within the last 5 years that resulted in a prison sentence or a fine of $500 or more. Relevant offences include violence, harassment, intimidation, weapons, drugs and dishonesty.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account - you can create one when you start your application
- your proof of identity
- the corporation's previous Commercial Agents & Private Inquiry Agents (CAPI) licence number (if applicable)
- your contact details
- your business details including your ABN
- the name, date of birth and email address for each officer of the corporation
- a copy of the current National Police Check Certificate for each each officer of the corporation (in PDF, JPG or PNG format)
- a completed consent form to show you have written consent from each officer of the corporation to share their personal details (in PDF, JPG or PNG format)
- a current credit card for payment.
Note: Finger/palm prints are not required to be taken for a commercial agent licence application.
Proof of identity
How to apply
- Check your eligibility
- Gather your supporting documents.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for a licence.
NSW Fair Trading will contact you if more information is required.
If your application is approved, you'll receive your licence by email up to 10 days later.
- From 1 July 2022, regulation of the commercial agent industry moved from the NSW Police Force to NSW Fair Trading. For full details, visit the Fair Trading website.
- Private inquiry agents (now known as private investigators) will continue to be regulated by the NSW Police Force, under the Security Industry Act 1997.