Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.


If you're planning to import or manufacture a new industrial chemical in Australia, you'll need to apply for a controlled use permit (CUP). A 'new chemical' is one that is not listed on the Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS), and any industrial use of such a chemical must meet the criteria set out by the National Industrial Chemical Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS).


Importers or manufacturers of new industrial chemicals that meet the criteria set out by the National Industrial Chemical Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS).

What you need

  • the NICNAS Site map for reference
  • notifier details
  • technical contact details
  • chemical details
  • the Application for Controlled Use Permit (FORM CUP-1) including the Notification Template
  • third party details and confidential data documentation (if applicable)
  • application fee.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Controlled use permit application (CUP-1) including the Notification Template.
  2. Download and complete the Third Party Information Lodgement (FORM 5) if applicable.
  3. Gather all the required documentation and submit your application both electronically and by post or courier.

Email to, and post to:

GPO Box 58
Sydney NSW 200, or

courier to:

Level 7
260 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2010

More information

  • CUPs are issued for 3 years and can be renewed any number of times, provided certain criteria are met.
  • There is no volume restriction on a CUP.
  • Where a joint application is made, details of all the applicants and signed declarations from all the applicants are required.
  • If your application is successful, permits will be delivered by courier.
  • Industrial chemicals include:
    • dyes
    • solvents
    • adhesives
    • plastics
    • laboratory chemicals
    • chemicals used in mineral and petroleum processing
    • refrigeration
    • printing and photocopying
    • paints and coatings
    • cleaning products
    • cosmetics
    • toiletries.
You'll be taken to another website.