Text size


Dangerous goods are substances and articles that are deemed to pose an acute risk to people, property and the environment. You need to have a dangerous goods driver's licence if you want to transport these goods:

  • in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres, or
  • if there is more than 500 kilograms in a single receptacle.

Intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) with a total capacity of up to 3000 litres are exempt, as long as they are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle.

The dangerous goods driver's licence can be issued by any state or territory and is recognised throughout Australia.


You must be a resident of NSW and satisfy the Environment Protection Authority that you:

  • are medically fit
  • have a satisfactory driving history
  • have completed the mandatory assessment
  • are the holder of a full driver's licence.

What you need

  • the completed Application for Dangerous Goods Driver Licence – PDF
  • evidence from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that you've successfully completed Preparation to Transport Dangerous Goods by Road (TLILIC0001) not more than 6 months prior to your application being received by the EPA
  • a medical assessment certificate issued not more than 6 months prior to your application being received by the EPA
  • certified records of your driving history for the previous 5 years from each licensing authority that issued you a driving licence in that time
  • copy of your driver's licence front and back
  • copy of an interstate dangerous goods driver's licence (if applicable)
  • 2 passport size colour photos
  • application fee (as indicated on the form).

How to apply

  1. Complete the Application for Dangerous Goods Driver Licence – PDF
  2. Pay the fee.
  3. Gather the required documentation together with your photographs, and mail to:

Chemicals and Radiation Licensing Unit – Level 19
Environment Protection Authority
PO Box A290
Sydney South NSW 1232

More information

  • If you hold a current dangerous goods driver's licence issued by another state or territory, you're able to drive a dangerous goods vehicle in NSW.
  • The fee for the Dangerous Goods Training Course is set by the provider, and is separate from the dangerous goods driver's licence fee.
  • Most trainers will collect the fee and all the required documentation and forward the completed application to the EPA on your behalf.
  • Dangerous goods licences are normally issued for 5 years. Some may be issued for one year, depending on your medical assessment and driving history.
  • The EPA will issue your licence within 20 working days of receiving the complete application.
Last updated: 22 September 2021
You'll be taken to another website.