COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you’d like to build, demolish, alter or change the use of a property, you may need to submit a development application (DA) to your local council.

Before starting a DA, contact your local council to find out if development consent is required. If your proposed development is small-scale, it may be considered an ‘exempt’ or ‘complying’ development. At this time you can also check with your council if permits will be required to place tables, chairs or any other obstructions on the footpath.

When preparing a DA, you may wish to discuss your proposal with a council planning officer (sometimes called a Duty Planner or Planning Officer). They can assist you with the DA process and advise on what documents need to be submitted with your DA application. You may also want to Apply for a zoning certificate to confirm the zoning and rules applicable to the property.

Development applications typically include:

  • a completed application form
  • owner’s consent
  • Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE)
  • cost of works estimate
  • building and site plan
  • drawings
  • expert reports relevant to the DA (for example, heritage impact, acoustic, waste management, traffic), and
  • payment of fees.

Keep in mind that, depending on your premises, you may also need to apply for other permits. Your application may be delayed if you don't obtain the right permits before submitting your DA application. For example, you might need to:

You may be required to provide notification of your application. This may involve displaying a site notice, and notifying surrounding building occupants and businesses. You should speak with your local council to get a better understanding of what is required.

Contact your local council to find out more about applying for development consent.

You'll be taken to another website.