COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


You may need approval from your water provider to discharge commercial trade wastewater into a public sewer, depending on the type of business you operate.

Commercial trade wastewater includes greasy wastewater from retail food outlets and contaminated wastewater from mechanical workshops, car washes and laundries.

Businesses need to follow their water provider’s requirements for pre-treatment equipment, backflow prevention and grease trap management.

There may be ongoing fees and charges to cover the additional costs of managing and treating trade wastewater.

Different areas of NSW are managed by different water providers, including major water utilities, like Sydney Water, local water utilities and local councils.

Visit the Department of Primary Industries Water website to find your water utility provider. 

You'll be taken to another website.