If you're going to participate in the Alcohol Interlock Program, you'll need to visit a service centre and be issued a NSW car, rider, or heavy vehicle licence (whichever is applicable) with an interlock condition.
You can do this once you've completed the necessary disqualification period, attended a medical consultation, and had an interlock device installed on your vehicle.
Note: Learner drivers will only be issued an interlock licence once their driving test has been passed.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- payment for any licence fees, or your concession card (if applicable)
- the PDF forms:
- 'Licence Application'
- 'Interlock Driver Licence Statement and Privacy Declaration'
- 'Interlock Installation Certificate', completed by you and your accredited interlock service provider
- 'Medical Consultation Certificate' completed by you and your doctor (you must see your doctor in the 28 days before you apply for an interlock licence).
How to apply
- Download and complete the following forms:
- Licence Application – PDF
- Interlock Driver Licence Statement and Privacy Declaration – PDF
- Interlock Installation Certificate – PDF (your accredited interlock service provider must complete part of this form)
- Medical Consultation Certificate – PDF (your doctor must complete part of this form in the 28 days before you make your application).
- Make sure you have all your documentation, including proof of identity and proof of concession (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
Last updated: 1 April 2022