If you’re a first home buyer and you’re buying or building a new home, you may qualify for a $10,000 grant under the First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) scheme.
You can make a claim if:
- your home is newly constructed and has a total value of less than $600,000
- the land and the dwelling you intend to build has a combined value of less than $750,000.
- you must be an individual (not a company or trust), at least 18 years old
- you, or at least one person you’re buying with, must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- you or your spouse must not have previously:
- owned or co-owned property in Australia
- received a first home owner grant in Australia.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'First Home Owner Grant Application'
- your proof of identity
- a copy of the contract, dated and signed by the seller
- supporting documents (as applicable).
How to apply
- Select the ‘Download PDF form’ button.
- Complete the form.
- Lodge the completed form and supporting documents:
- with your bank or financial institution when you're arranging finance to buy your home, or
- with Revenue NSW if you’ve already completed the purchase process or construction has commenced.
- Penalties apply for false or misleading information.
- You need to occupy the home as your principal place of residence for at least 6 months continuously, within:
- 12 months of buying the property, or
- 12 months of construction being completed.
- Permanent members of the Australian Defence Force may be exempt from the 6 month residence requirement.
- If your circumstances change after you’ve received the grant and you no longer meet the eligibility requirements, you’ll need to pay back the grant.