A general boat driving licence is a minimum requirement if you're driving any vessel for recreational purposes at 10 knots (approximately 18.5 km/h) or more, on NSW waters.
To obtain your general boat driving licence, you'll need to:
- provide evidence of practical boating (logbook) experience (with at least 3 trips logged)
- successfully complete the general boat licence knowledge test.
If you've already passed the test and completed the requirements with an Authorised Training Provider (ATP), you can post your application or take your documents to a service centre.
Once your licence has been granted, you can access it digitally using your smartphone or tablet device. You'll need to have a MyServiceNSW Account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. You can then link Maritime to your MyServiceNSW Account.
Note: Discounts are available for pensioners.
Anyone aged 12 years or older who has successfully completed the general boat licence knowledge test can apply for a general boat driving licence.
You may be eligible for a 50% discount on the licence fee if you:
- hold one of the following:
- NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold Card endorsed with:
- TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
- EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
- war widow/er.
- have evidence from the DVA confirming:
- you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
- you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.
What you need
- proof of identity
- evidence of practical boating experience
- evidence of having passed the general boat licence knowledge test
- evidence of holding equivalent qualifications recognised for the issue of a NSW general boat driving licence (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
- Locate your preferred service centre and 'Select'.
- Choose a date and time for your appointment.
- Enter your details to confirm your booking.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Attend your appointment at the service centre.
If you've completed the requirements with an ATP:
- Gather all the necessary documentation.
- Post your application to:
Agency Business Centre
PO Box 21
Parkes NSW 2870
- To help you practise for your test, you can take a revision quiz, online.
- The duration of a general boat driving licence can be 1, 3, 5 or 10 years.
- Licence fees vary depending on the duration of the licence, and whether they are concessional licences.
- You must be under 16 years of age, or hold an eligible concession card at the time of payment, to receive a concession.
- If you hold an unrestricted NSW driver licence (all classes) and a NSW general boat driving licence, you may be eligible to combine these 2 licences on one card. Visit Transport for NSW to make sure you have all the information.