Text size


If you're looking for work, receiving a maximum Centrelink payment, and you have a transport concession entitlement card, you can apply for a concession Opal card. The concession Opal card allows you to pay reduced fares on public transport within the Opal network.


You must hold a transport concession entitlement card.

What you need

  • your transport concession entitlement card
  • your Centrelink reference number (CRN).

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Select 'I want to order a concession Opal card'.
  3. Select 'Continue ordering an Opal card'.
  4. Complete the registration details.
  5. Enter your entitlement details.
  6. Decide on your top up amount and type.
  7. Make your payment.
  8. Select 'Submit'.

More information

  • Your concession Opal card isn't proof of entitlement. You must always carry your transport concession entitlement card when travelling.
  • Once your eligibility is confirmed by Transport for NSW, your concession Opal card will be mailed to you within 5 to 7 working days. You'll then need to Activate your Opal card.
  • When you find employment and you're no longer eligible, your concession Opal card will be cancelled, and you mustn't use your transport concession entitlement card.
Last updated: 11 April 2023
You'll be taken to another website.