All music is the intellectual property of its creator(s) and is protected under Australian copyright laws. If you want to play music at your business, you'll need to apply for the appropriate copyright licences.

OneMusic Australia combines all rights into the one licence, and the amount you pay for the licence will depend on:

  • the nature and size of your business
  • how you intend to use the music.

You can apply for a OneMusic licence online.


The business will need a licence if you want to play music:

  • from CDs, radios, tablets, smartphones
  • in videos, programs or films on TV
  • during live performances including karaoke and DJ shows
  • for your telephone on-hold system
  • in areas that are not accessible to the public.

You may not need a licence if you:

  • use a licensed background music playlist, or
  • directly license royalty-free music from composers, songwriters, music publishers, recording artists or record labels.

What you need

  • your business details
  • details of how you'll use the music in your business
  • details of the person authorised to make the licence agreement.

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  2. Select your industry.
  3. Follow the prompts to get a quote.

More information

If you’d like advice on using music at your business, email OneMusic Australia at

Last updated: 15 November 2023