Text size


A private mooring licence is an annual licence that allows you to moor your vessel on navigable waters. A fee is attached to the application, and depending on availability, your request may be put on a priority waiting list. 

You can apply for a private mooring licence online.

Note: There are savings available for pensioners.


  • you must be the registered owner of the vessel to be attached to the mooring
  • your vessel's registration must be current.

You may be eligible for a 50% discount on the licence fee if you:

  • hold one of the following:
    • NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • DVA Gold Card endorsed with: 
      • TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
      • EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
      • war widow/er.
  • have evidence from the DVA confirming:
    • you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
    • you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.

What you need

  • the mooring location required
  • your personal and contact details
  • your vessel's details
  • credit card details for payment
  • copies of the following to upload:
    • your concession card details (if applicable)
    • a recent photo of the vessel
    • acceptable full proof of identity documents – PDF
    • additional documents as indicated in the online mooring map and form.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Select the mooring area required from the map.
  4. Log in or create an account.
  5. Complete the online application form.
  6. Upload the required documentation.
  7. Read and confirm the declaration.

More information

  • Verified copies can be signed by one of the following:
    • Service NSW officer
    • Justice of the Peace (including their appointment number)
    • NSW Police Officer (including their rank and station stamp)
    • judge, magistrate, bank manager, legal practitioner or school principal.
  • Private mooring licences are only issued to individuals. They’re not issued to a partnership, company, organisation or association.
  • The vessel must be at least 5.2 metres in length, unless otherwise approved by Transport for NSW.
  • Concessions (if applicable) are only available for vessels used solely for recreational purposes.
  • The photo of the vessel must accompany your application.
  • The mooring will only be granted ‘subject to approval’ and will be assessed on the proposed vessel size, type and condition.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Private moorings at Transport for NSW.

Last updated: 15 November 2022
You'll be taken to another website.