If you're a tow truck operator using only crane-type tow trucks and only carrying scrap metal directly to a scrap metal recycling facility, you can apply for a scrap metal exemption certificate.
There is a fee attached to this transaction.
- you must be a fit and proper person
- all trucks must be registered in your (the applicant's) name
- the trucks must be solely used for transporting motor vehicles for scrap metal recycling.
Note: Tip tray tow trucks are not eligible under the certificate.
What you need
Your business details, and copy(s) of:
- photo IDs (back and front of driver licence, passport) of:
- close associates
- yourself (if a sole trader)
- certificate of incorporation (if applicable)
- registration of business name (sole traders)
- latest annual company statement/extract with shareholder and director details (if applicable)
- certificate of currency for public liability insurance for your place of business
- current Transport for NSW certificates of registration for each vehicle operating
- clear colour photographs of the vehicles showing registration number and crane
Note: Vehicles must be registered in the name of the applicant. Lease agreements are not accepted for an exemption certificate
- a National Police Check (no more than 6 weeks old) for anyone nominated on the form who has lived overseas or in another Australian state or territory in the last 10 years
- printout of interstate/overseas criminal record(s) (if applicable)
- details of all employed/engaged tow truck drivers
- a credit card or PayPal account for your payment
- the PDF form – 'Application for Scrap Metal Exemption Certificate'.
How to apply
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Ensure you and all directors, partners and close associates sign the declaration.
- Make your payment with credit card or PayPal, via the link on the form.
- Enter your payment receipt number.
- Gather all the required supporting documentation.
- Lodge your application using the details on the form.
- As part of the assessment process, TfNSW will check whether an applicant has a criminal record.
- Tow trucks transporting motor vehicles destined for repair, reuse or resale in their original form or as parts, cannot be included on an exemption certificate.
- Your tow trucks must have an approved sign displayed on the front and rear of each tow truck in positions where they are visible outside the tow truck.