If you're planning to marry overseas, or if you're returning to your country of residence to get married, you may need a single status certificate. This certificate verifies that you've not been married in NSW during a specified period of time.

You can apply for a single status certificate in person at a service centre, or by mail.

Certificates are sent to you by the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages, using registered post. You cannot get a certificate from a service centre.


  • If you're applying for your own certificate, you'll need 3 copies of your own identification.
  • If you're applying for a certificate on behalf of another person, you'll need:
    • 3 copies of your own identification
    • a letter giving permission from the person named on the certificate, with their address, daytime telephone number and signature included
    • 3 copies of identification from the person giving permission.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • the details of the search
  • 3 forms of identification as specified on the application
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'NSW Single Status Certificate Application'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the NSW Single Status Certificate Application – PDF.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Lodge your application with the required documentation and payment using the details on the form.

More information

  • Before you apply for a single status certificate, check the legal requirements with the consulate, embassy or local representative of the country in which you wish to marry.
  • Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
  • Documents provided as proof of identity may have their authenticity verified through the National Document Verification Service (DVS).
  • Do not laminate your certificates. Identity documents must be kept in their original state to be accepted by government agencies.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 4 January 2024