Depending on the type and size of vessel you own, you may need to register it in order to use the navigable waterways in NSW.
Once you have your registration, you can access it digitally using your smartphone or tablet device. You'll need to have a MyServiceNSW Account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. You can then add Maritime to your MyServiceNSW Account.
Note: Some discounts are available for pensioners.
You must be at least 16 years old to register a vessel.
A 50% discount on the registration fee is available if you:
- hold one of the following:
- NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold Card endorsed with:
- TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
- EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
- war widow/er.
- have evidence from the DVA confirming:
- you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
- you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- the 'Application for Vessel Registration' PDF form
- the proof of acquisition
- the HIN (Boat Code) certificate (if you require one you need to organise an inspection with a Boat Code Agent), and
- the Australian Builders Plate (ABP) if the vessel was built on or after 1 July 2006
- A Letter of Agreement for Recreational Vessel Registration from Transport for NSW. This is required if the vessel has previously been issued with a UVI by AMSA or used as a commercial vessel in Australia or overseas and is now being registered recreationally in NSW for the first time. For more information, call 13 12 36 and select option 2.