The issue of the final occupation certificate (OC) is the last step in the formal DA and construction process.

You need an OC if you want to:

  • occupy or use a new building, or
  • change the use of an existing building.

OCs are issued by your local council or a private certifier.

They can be applied for online via the NSW Planning Portal, either:

  • when you apply for your development application (DA) or complying development certificate (CDC), or
  • as a standalone application.


For a certificate to be issued, the building or development must:

  • meet the required regulatory standards
  • be suitable for occupation (in accordance with its Building Code classification).

Note: Developers/builders of class 2 buildings are required to give 6 to 12 months’ notice of their intention to apply for an OC.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account or your Planning Portal login details
  • copies of documents for uploading, which may include but are not limited to:
    • development consent or complying development certificate
    • construction certificate
    • fire safety certificate
    • compliance certificate
    • documentation specific to your application (as requested by council)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  2. Select ‘Log in with a Service NSW account’ or enter your Planning Portal login details.
  3. Follow the prompts to complete your application, either:
    • as a standalone application, or
    • by connecting to an existing DA/CDC application.

Note: If you’d like a step-by-step guide, download Submitting an application for an occupation certificate – PDF.

More information

A 'part occupation certificate' can be issued for staged projects/works. This certificate allows you to occupy the part of the building that’s been completed.

Last updated: 28 November 2023

Rate the information on the page