Before you start any approved building or construction work, you must appoint a principal certifier (PC) and then advise your local council of the PC appointment.

The PC oversees the development’s construction phase and completes mandatory building inspections, known as critical stage inspections, to make sure that building standards are met.

Once building work has finished, the PC will complete final inspections and may issue the final occupation certificate if all requirements have been satisfied.

Before appointing a registered certifier:

  • check that the certifier has the right class of registration for the work and read the conditions, if any, on their registration
  • make sure their registration and insurance are current on the building certifiers public register
  • look up the certifier’s name on the disciplinary register to see if any actions have been taken against them 
  • carefully read the contract for certification work.

For more information, contact your local council

More information

  • A PC can be a registered building surveyor, your local council or a registered body corporate (certification company).
  • You choose who you’ll engage as a certifier. You do not have to appoint a certifier suggested by your builder. 
Last updated: 19 March 2024

Rate the information on the page