With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


If you have a historic/classic vehicle and you want to participate in events organised by historic vehicle clubs or community organisations, you'll need to apply for a conditional vehicle registration. 


To be eligible, you must:

The vehicle must be:

  • 30 years or older
  • as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations other than safety features such as seatbelts and turn indicators, or period accessories and options
  • officially declared as safe to drive.

What you need

  • your proof of identity, such as a NSW driver licence
  • the vehicle details
  • proof of registration entitlement such as an original receipt for the vehicle
  • proof of your membership of a recognised historic vehicle club
  • a vehicle safety report or the Historic Vehicle Declaration form (whichever is applicable)
  • the Application for Conditional Registration form.

How to apply

  1. Download, complete and print the Application for Conditional Registration – PDF
  2. Download, complete and print the Historic Vehicle Declaration – PDF and have it signed by an official of a recognised historic vehicle club (if applicable).
  3. Gather all the required documentation and submit your application in person at a service centre.

More information

  • Historic vehicles must display conditional registration number plates and a current registration label.
  • Name bars can be attached to the number plate, but mustn't cover the number plate.
  • Historic vehicles can be used:
    • for events organised by a recognised historic vehicle club or community group, only if an invitation is received and recorded by the club in the Day Book (the official minutes of the club)
    • on the road if they need to be serviced, or if an inspection is needed
    • on a longer road journey, if you tell your club and the details are recorded in the Day Book.
  • If you want to use your historic vehicle to transport passengers for weddings or other functions, you'll need to check the requirements under the Passenger Transport Act 1990, seek approval from the club, and have the details recorded in the Day Book.
  • NSW historic vehicles may be used for a short time in other states and territories under the same conditions that apply in NSW.