If you need road access and your vehicle doesn't comply with standard construction and equipment requirements, you'll have to apply for a conditional vehicle registration. This will allow limited access to the road network to perform specific functions.

You can apply and pay for this registration at a service centre.

Note: Conditional registration will not be offered if a complying vehicle can be used instead.


To see if your vehicle is eligible for a Conditional Vehicle Registration, check the Conditional Registration Vehicle Sheets.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Application for Conditional Registration'
  • Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession - Form 1193 (if the vehicle is for farming purposes)
  • one of the following PDF forms to prove the vehicle is suitable for safe use:
    • 'Historic Vehicle Declaration', and a Safety Check inspection report not more than 6 months old, if the historic vehicles club is less than 2 years old 
    • 'Street Rod Declaration' and a safety inspection report
    • 'Rally Vehicle Declaration'
    • 'Classic Vehicle Declaration'
    • Vehicle Suitable for Safe Use Declaration (valid for 42 days) for plant vehicles, golf buggies, ATVs, agricultural motorcycles and lawn mowers
  • your business identification details (if applicable)
  • proof of identity (individual, organisation and/or representative)
  • proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
    • your payment.

    How to apply

    1. Check the eligibility requirements.
    2. Download and complete:
    3. Download and complete one of the following:
    4. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
    5. Visit a service centre and submit your application and payment.

    Payment methods

    You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

    Last updated: 6 November 2023