With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


To get a learner rider licence in a declared area, you must first attend a pre-learner training course. After passing the course, you'll be issued with a pre-learner certificate of competence.

You then need to visit a service centre with your certificate, and sit the Driver/Rider Knowledge Test (DKT). This must be done within 3 months of completing the pre-learner training course.

On successful completion of the DKT you're able to apply for your learner rider licence.

The DKT can be booked through Online Services, but note that you must have your certificate of competence before you can sit the DKT.

When you visit the service centre, you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.


  • To apply for a learner rider licence, you need to be at least 16 years and nine months, and if successful you'll be issued with the licence for a period of 12 months.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • your Photo Card if you have one, or:
  • your pre-learner certificate of competence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your method of payment.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure that you have all the necessary documentation, including your pre-learner certificate of competence.
  4. Visit a service centre to sit the DKT and lodge your application.

More information

  • You must have your certificate of competence before you can sit the DKT.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to riding/driving.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.