To obtain either a learner or provisional motorcycle rider licence, you need to attend and pass the training course relevant to your licence.

Pre-learner and pre-provisional rider training is available at approved rider training centres for applicants living in a declared area.

There is now a trike-only training and testing pathway for customers to get a licence to ride a trike. For further information, visit Riding a trike on NSW Roads.

Note: Visit a service centre if a rider training centre is unavailable in your local area.


Learner rider training

  • You can attend a pre-learner course when you're 16 years and 6 months old.
  • You need to be at least 16 years and 9 months old to get your learner rider licence.

Pre-provisional rider training

What you need

  • your driver licence, Photo Card, or​ Transport for NSW customer number
  • your payment.

How to book

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Find a rider training provider' button.
  3. Choose your rider training provider.
  4. Visit their website and book your course.

Note: Trike training courses cannot be booked online. You'll need to call your chosen training provider.

More information

  • Make sure you've booked your pre-provisional training at least 4 to 6 weeks before your learner licence expires. This will give you enough time to reschedule another test if you fail, or have to delay, the first one.
  • If you do not pass the provisional training before your licence expires, you'll have to start the entire program again – this includes paying the fees again.
  • You cannot get an extension or renewal of a learner rider licence.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 29 November 2021

Rate the information on the page