Text size


If you want to transport explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS) by vehicle, you’ll need a licence issued by SafeWork NSW.

The licence is valid for 5 years and also allows you to possess and store the materials specified on the licence.

The licence can be issued to you or to a nominated person on behalf of a company.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance and be able to ensure only people with a security clearance have unsupervised access to explosives and SSDS
  • have a legitimate reason for transporting SSDS
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or SSDS.

Each nominated driver must:

  • be at least 21 years old
  • comply with the requirements of the Australian Explosives Code – PDF relating to the transport of explosives by road and rail
  • have at least 12 months experience driving the vehicle(s) that will be used
  • be medically and physically fit to perform their driver duties.

What you need

  • access to a printer
  • your personal and contact details
  • corporation details (if applicable)
  • the application fee
  • your reason/s for requesting a licence
  • your proof of identity (100 points, as detailed on the application form)
  • your security clearance (SC) licence details, or complete a security clearance licence application
  • statement outlining your experience and knowledge in:
    • the safe handling, storage and transport of explosives and SSDS
    • Australian Explosives Code
    • Australian Dangerous Goods Code
    • Australian Standards AS2187 and/or AS4326.
  • training and qualifications (if applicable)
  • details of interstate explosives licence/s (if applicable)
  • details of the explosives or SSDS to be transported and stored
  • site and storage details
  • security plan and map indicating the storage location of the explosives
  • emergency contact's details, and emergency plan (if applicable)
  • details of each driver who'll be transporting the explosives and/or SSDS, including:
    • their personal details
    • their security clearance licence number
    • a certified copy of their driver licence.
  • the PDF form – 'Application for a licence to transport explosives or SSDS'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button. 
  2. Complete, print and sign the form.
  3. Collect all the required documentation including the material and payment needed for your SC application (if applicable).
  4. Lodge your application with payment, at your nearest Australia Post office.

More information

  • The nominated person for a company must be involved in the management of the company. If that person ceases to be the nominated person, for example if they resign, the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within 7 days.
  • If you're lodging your application for an SC licence at the same time, it will have to be approved before your transport application will be processed.
  • The SC licence was previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL).
  • If you're storing hazardous chemicals you must provide notification to SafeWork NSW.
  • As a licence holder, you must:
    • ensure that only people with a valid security clearance have access to explosives or SSDS
    • comply with the requirements of your licence and the explosives legislation or the licence may be suspended or cancelled
    • notify SafeWork NSW within 14 days if there are any changes to your licence or contact details, or changes to the quantity and location of the explosives or SSDS.
Last updated: 19 May 2021
You'll be taken to another website.