With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


If you’re planning an activity or project for research, education or conservation purposes which is within a national park, or may harm or damage protected plants, animals or their habitat, you’ll need to apply for a native flora and fauna research licence.

There is a fee for the initial licence and any subsequent renewal(s) of that licence.

You can apply and pay, online.


You'll need a licence under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 if you wish to undertake an activity for scientific, educational or conservation purposes that is likely to result in one or more of the following:

  • harm to any protected animal, or to an animal that is a threatened species or is part of a threatened ecological community
  • harm to any protected native plant, or any plant that is a threatened species or is part of a threatened ecological community
  • damage to an area of outstanding biodiversity value
  • damage to a habitat of a threatened species or ecological community.

You'll also need a licence if you plan to collect voucher specimens for identification purposes, pick cuttings or whole plants, or collect seed.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Office of Environment and Heritage.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • your residential and postal address
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Complete the online application form.
  5. Enter your payment details.
  6. Read and confirm the declaration.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

You'll be taken to another website.