Back to top

The NSW Spectacles Program provides glasses and optical aids to eligible recipients, free of charge.

In any 2 year period you can receive:

  • one pair of single vision glasses, or
  • one pair of bifocal glasses.

Contact lenses, tinted lenses or low vision aids may be provided in certain circumstances.

Visit NSW Spectacles Program
  • to select a registered provider from the NSW Spectacles Program List of Providers – PDF
  • your personal and contact details
  • your Medicare number
  • a Centrelink income statement no more than 3 months old if you're receiving Centrelink payments, or
  • a payslip and bank statement that are no more than 3 months old if you're a low income earner
  • a prescription no more than 3 months old (if requested by your provider).
Visit NSW Spectacles Program
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Make an appointment with your chosen provider, and check:
    • whether they'll need to conduct an eye examination, and if so, that they'll bill through Medicare, or
    • whether you need to take a prescription with you.
  3. Gather all the required documentation and attend your appointment.
    • At your appointment, the provider will enter your details into the program's online portal and lodge your application using the documentation you supply.
    • Once your application is approved the provider will order your glasses or optical aids and let you know when they're ready to collect.
Visit NSW Spectacles Program

You must meet the following criteria:

  • be an Australian resident living permanently in NSW
  • have less than $500 (if single) or $1000 (if married/partnered, or with dependants) in savings or assets
  • be ineligible for any other spectacles subsidy scheme
  • have not received any glasses or optical appliances under the program within the last 2 years
  • receive a full Commonwealth pension, benefit or allowance and no additional income, or
  • earn less than the aged pension (if over 65), or Newstart Allowance (if under 65).
Visit NSW Spectacles Program
  • Centrelink income statements can be obtained by phoning or visiting a Centrelink branch, or online by linking Centrelink to your myGov account.
  • You can choose to pay an additional fee for items the program doesn't fund, such as:
    • multifocal or progressive lenses
    • transition or photochromatic coatings
    • non-standard frames.
Visit NSW Spectacles Program
Source url: