COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


An occupation certificate is required from your local council or a private certifier if you intend to occupy or use a new building, or change the use of an existing building. 

You can find a certifier online

You'll need to apply for an occupation certificate if you want to occupy or use a new building that has been completed, or change the whole use of an existing building.

To lodge your application, you may need to provide a copy of one of the following:

  • development consent or complying development certificate
  • construction certificate
  • fire safety certificate
  • compliance certificate. 

Contact your local council for requirements specific to your type of business and to complete your application.

You'll be taken to another website.