If you’re buying or selling a property and you suspect work may have been done without appropriate council or private certifier approvals, you can apply for a building information certificate (BIC).

This certificate ensures the whole or part of the building covered by the certificate won’t be subject to any regulatory action by the local council for 7 years.

Regulatory action could include:

  • demolishing, altering, adding to, or rebuilding
  • resolving any encroachment by the building onto land under council control.

You can apply online for a BIC via the NSW Planning Portal.


A BIC can be requested by:

  • the owner of the property
  • another person, with the consent of the property owner
  • the purchaser of a property under a contract of sale (including the purchaser’s solicitor or agent)
  • a public authority that has notified the owner of its intention to apply for the certificate.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account or your Planning Portal login details
  • copies of documents for uploading, which may include but are not limited to:
    • an original, or certified copy, of a survey report and plan (if the land is zoned as residential), or 
    • a survey report (if the land is situated in other zones)
    • specific documents requested by council such as building plans, specifications, certificates (if applicable)
  • your payment.

Note: The survey report and plan must represent the property and buildings as existing at the time of submitting the application. 

How to apply

  1. Check with your local council to ensure it is accepting online applications through the Planning Portal.
  2. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  3. Select ‘Log in with a Service NSW account’ or enter your Planning Portal login details.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete your application.

Note: If you’d like a step-by-step guide, download Submitting an application for a building information certificate – PDF.

Last updated: 28 November 2023