If you want to find out if a parcel of land can be developed, you can request a zoning certificate (also known as a section 10.7 planning certificate). 

This certificate provides information on any controls, requirements and restrictions that may impact how a property is used; for example, if it is heritage-listed. 

Zoning certificates are issued by your local council. They can be applied for online via the NSW Planning Portal, either:

  • when you start your development application (DA) or complying development certificate (CDC), or
  • as a standalone application.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account or your Planning Portal login details
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check with your local council to ensure it is accepting online applications through the Planning Portal.
  2. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  3. Select ‘Log in with a Service NSW account’ or enter your Planning Portal login details.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete your application, either: 
    • as a standalone application, or
    • by connecting to an existing DA/CDC application.

Note: If you’d like a step-by-step guide, download 10.7 planning certificates – PDF

More information

If you need help using the section 10.7 planning certificate online service, please email the ePlanning support team at

Last updated: 28 November 2023

Rate the information on the page