COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you're visiting from overseas and intending to participate in a safari tour or approved hunting activities where you'll be using firearms, you'll need to apply for an overseas visitor's safari tour/hunting permit.


You may not be eligible if you have:

  • had a firearms licence or permit suspended, cancelled, revoked or refused
  • ever attempted suicide or self harm, or in the past 12 months been referred or treated for alcoholism, drug dependence, or a mental or nervous disorder or illness
  • within the last 10 years, been convicted of an offence involving firearms or weapons, prohibited drugs/plants, fraud/dishonesty/stealing, prescribed restricted substances, terrorism, violence, robbery, organised criminal groups and recruitment, or an offence of a sexual nature.

What you need

  • your travel details
  • your contact information while you're in Australia
  • a copy of your passport
  • your firearm and ammunition details (if bringing firearms into Australia)
  • a copy of your shooting/hunting club membership issued by your home country (if available)
  • a certified copy of the licence or permit from your country of residence OR police clearance certification
  • a letter from the safari tour organiser OR a letter on club letterhead from the club organising the hunting activities, with location and dates
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Application for a Firearms Permit'
    • 'Safari/Hunting Participation Permit Legitimate Reason'.

How to apply

  1. Download, complete and print:
  2. Attach your supporting documents.
  3. Post your application to:

Firearms Registry
Locked Bag 5102
Parramatta NSW 2124

More information

  • If your permit is approved and you're wanting to import your own firearms, a B709 Police Confirmation will be issued to allow their release from Australian Customs when you arrive in Australia.
  • To participate in a safari tour or a hunting club's activities you'll also need either a NSW General Visitor's Game Hunting Licence (G-visitor's) or a NSW Restricted Visitor's Game Hunting Licence (R-visitor's).
  • $20 million public liability insurance is attached to every G-visitor's and R-visitor's licence.
You'll be taken to another website.