If you're visiting from overseas and intending to participate in a safari tour or approved hunting activities where you'll be using firearms, you'll need to apply for an overseas visitor's safari tour/hunting permit.
You may not be eligible if you have:
- had a firearms licence or permit suspended, cancelled, revoked or refused
- ever attempted suicide or self harm, or in the past 12 months been referred or treated for alcoholism, drug dependence, or a mental or nervous disorder or illness
- within the last 10 years, been convicted of an offence involving firearms or weapons, prohibited drugs/plants, fraud/dishonesty/stealing, prescribed restricted substances, terrorism, violence, robbery, organised criminal groups and recruitment, or an offence of a sexual nature.
What you need
- your travel details
- your contact information while you're in Australia
- a copy of your passport
- your firearm and ammunition details (if bringing firearms into Australia)
- a copy of your shooting/hunting club membership issued by your home country (if available)
- a certified copy of the licence or permit from your country of residence OR police clearance certification
- a letter from the safari tour organiser OR a letter on club letterhead from the club organising the hunting activities, with location and dates
- the PDF form – 'Application for a Firearms Permit'
- the PDF form – 'Overseas (Temporary) Visitors Safari Tour/Hunting Legitimate Reason'.
How to apply
- Download, complete and print:
- Attach your supporting documents.
- Post your application to:
Locked Bag 1
Murwillumbah NSW 2484
- If your permit is approved and you're wanting to import your own firearms, a B709 Police Confirmation will be issued to allow their release from Australian Customs when you arrive in Australia.
- To participate in a safari tour or a hunting club's activities you'll also need either a NSW General Visitor's Game Hunting Licence (G-visitor) or a NSW Restricted Visitor's Game Hunting Licence (R-visitor).
- $20 million public liability insurance is attached to every G-visitor and R-visitor licence.