Text size


You need to apply for the producer/wholesaler liquor licence if you're a liquor producer, such as a winemaker, brewer or distiller, or a liquor wholesaler, and you want to:

  • sell alcohol to other liquor licensees
  • retail to the general public

The licence also allows liquor producers to conduct free tastings, retail sales, and direct sales to the public at liquor industry shows and farmers' markets or fairs. 

If you're a producer and you also want to sell liquor to the public for consumption on your premises, you'll need to apply for a drink-on premises authorisation.


  • Applicants must be 18 years or older, and not suspended or disqualified from holding a liquor licence.
  • An applicant may an authorised agent acting on behalf of an individual or organisation.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Liquor & Gaming NSW

What you need

  • a floor plan that clearly shows the boundaries proposed for the licensed area
  • details of the proposed licensee, premises and business owner
  • contact details for you or another authorised person
  • your requested liquor trading hours
  • a copy of your development approval or consent (if applicable)
  • completed applicant declaration – PDF (if applicable)
  • a copy of the Site Notice prominently displayed at the proposed licensed premises until you hear the outcome of your application
  • a copy of the Site Notice provided to the occupiers of any building or land within 100 metres of the proposed premises
  • your payment.

If you're applying as an individual, you'll also need:

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • evidence that you have completed Licensee and Advanced Licensee training
  • a current National Police Certificate issued within the last 3 months, and
  • the 3 identity documents you used when applying for the National Police Certificate.

If you're applying as an organisation, you'll also need:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract, and
  • details of an appointment of manager notice

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Ensure you have gathered the required documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in or create an account.
  5. Complete the online application form.
  6. Upload and attach the required documents.
  7. Enter your payment details.
  8. Read and confirm the declaration.
  9. Submit your application.
  10. Display and circulate your Public Consultation – Site Notice as prescribed.

More information

  • Retail takeaway sales by winemakers, brewers and distillers can only be made to the public between 5am and midnight Monday to Saturday, and 10am and 11pm on Sunday.
  • Applications for extended trading hours on a Sunday morning are subject to a Community Impact Statement.
Last updated: 17 June 2022
You'll be taken to another website.