Back to top

If your birth was registered in NSW and you've undergone a sex affirmation procedure, you can apply to have your Registry record updated. You can do this by mail, or in person at a service centre.

Find a service centre
  • the PDF form – 'Application to record a change of sex (applicant)'
  • your current personal and contact details
  • your personal details as registered at birth
  • 2 statutory declarations completed by 2 different medical practitioners and witnessed by an authorised witness
  • 3 certified forms of your identification, including photo identification
  • your payment.
Find a service centre
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Application to record a change of sex (applicant) – PDF.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application in person, or post it to:
    Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
    GPO Box 30
    Sydney NSW 2001
Find a service centre

To record a change of sex on your own Registry entry, you need to be aged 18 years or older.

To record a change of sex on a child's entry, you must be the parent(s) or guardian(s) of a child:

  • whose birth is registered in NSW
  • who has undergone a sex affirmation procedure.
Find a service centre
  • Your new Birth Certificate will not be marked in any way to indicate your sex has been changed
  • If you've changed your name since your birth was first registered, a notation stating that your birth was 'Previously registered in another name' will appear on the new certificate
  • Access to your old Birth Certificate is restricted by legislation once the change of sex has been recorded
  • Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages via registered post and cannot be collected at a service centre
  • Turnaround times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded
  • Documents provided as proof of identity may have their authenticity verified through the online Certificate Validation Service (CertValid) and the National Document Verification Service (DVS).

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: