The NSW Relationships Register provides legal recognition for de facto couples.
If your relationship is on the Register, or was previously on the Register, you're able to request a registered relationship certificate or revoked relationship certificate.
You can do this in person at a service centre, or by mail.
- your relationship is/was registered on the NSW Relationship Register
- you're one of the people listed on the register as being/having been in the relationship.
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- the reason why you need the certificate
- 3 personal identity documents as specified on the form
- your payment
- the PDF form – 'Relationship Certificate Application'.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the Relationship Certificate Application – PDF.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or mail the information to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
GPO Box 30
Sydney NSW 2001
- Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
- Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
- If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.