The NSW Relationships Register provides legal recognition for de facto couples.
If your relationship is on the Register, or was previously on the Register, you're able to request a registered relationship certificate or revoked relationship certificate.
You can do this in person at a service centre, or by mail.
- your relationship is/was registered on the NSW Relationship Register
- you're one of the people listed on the register as being/having been in the relationship.
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- the reason why you need the certificate
- 3 personal identity documents as specified on the form
- your payment
- the PDF form – 'Relationship Certificate Application'.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the Relationship Certificate Application - PDF.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or mail the information to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
GPO Box 30
Sydney NSW 2001
- Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
- Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
- If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.