Back to top

The NSW Relationships Register provides legal recognition for de facto couples, regardless of their sex.

If your relationship is on the Register, or was previously on the Register, you're able to request a registered relationship certificate or revoked relationship certificate.

You can do this in person at a service centre, or by mail.

Find a service centre
  • your personal and contact details
  • the reason why you need the certificate
  • 3 personal identity documents as specified on the form
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Relationship Certificate Application'.
Find a service centre
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Relationship Certificate Application – PDF.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or mail the information to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
GPO Box 30
Sydney NSW 2001

Find a service centre
  • your relationship is/was registered on the NSW Relationship Register
  • you're one of the people listed on the register as being/having been in the relationship.
Find a service centre
  • Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
  • Turnaround times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
  • Documents provided as proof of identity may have their authenticity verified through the online Certificate Validation Service (CertValid) and the National Document Verification Service (DVS).

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: