If you're a public housing tenant and you're no longer eligible for social housing, or you're wanting to get started in the private rental market, you may be able to apply for financial help through Rentstart Move.
Under Rentstart Move, Housing NSW may provide you with a loan for up to 75% of your rental bond. The loan is interest free and the payments you make are returned to you at the end of the tenancy if there's no claim made by the landlord or real estate agent.
You're eligible for Rentstart Move if:
- you're a public housing tenant or joint tenant
- your rent and all other Housing NSW accounts have a nil balance or are in credit
- you have less than $5000 in cash assets
- you don't own or part own a property
- your private rental will be no more than 50% of your household’s total gross weekly income.
What you need
- you'll need to have found the private rental property you wish to move into, before applying.
How to apply
- Your bond loan repayment plan will be based on how much of your income you'll be spending on rent.
- If you'd like some guidance on how to go about entering the private rental market, there are a range of options available to get you started.