If you're a public housing tenant and you're no longer eligible for social housing, or you're wanting to get started in the private rental market, you may be able to apply for financial help through Rentstart Move.

Under Rentstart Move, Housing NSW may provide you with a loan for up to 75% of your rental bond. The loan is interest free and the payments you make are returned to you at the end of the tenancy if there's no claim made by the landlord or real estate agent. 

What you'll need

  • you'll need to have found the private rental property you wish to move into, before applying.

How to apply

  1. Apply for Rentstart Move as soon as you've found your private accommodation, but while you're still living in public housing. Once you've moved into your private rental, you're no longer eligible.
  2. Visit your local Public Housing Office or call 1800 422 322.

Who's eligible?

You're eligible for Rentstart Move if:

  • you're a public housing tenant or joint tenant
  • your rent and all other Housing NSW accounts have a nil balance or are in credit
  • you have less than $5000 in cash assets
  • you don't own or part own a property
  • your private rental will be no more than 50% of your household’s total gross weekly income.

Things to keep in mind...

  • Your bond loan repayment plan will be based on how much of your income you'll be spending on rent.
  • If you'd like some guidance on how to go about entering the private rental market, there are a range of options available to get you started.
You'll be taken to another website.